Monday, August 4, 2008

Life goes on

Andrea has been away in Canada for the last two-and-a-half weeks and she returned to Taiwan safe and sound on Saturday. I took a special shuttle bus to Kaohsiung airport to meet when she walked through those doors in the arrival section. Those doors are magical doors. They are the real barrier that separate the departed from the departee. The moment that the traveller walks through those doors is the moment that they rejoin the people in the country in which they have arrived. They are also the barrier beyond which freedom lies; freedom to do what you want in the country to which you have come.

I kept myself very busy while Andrea was away. I managed to get through the second book of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I managed to take care of a lot of little chores I had had on the back burner for a while.

Going back to work today was not easy. It felt as though I had also been away and was about to have my first day back at work after a long break. I was exceptionally tired on the weekend and managed to exhaust myself in the last three weeks at work and out of work.

I was going to ramble here about the (thus far) hypothetical relationship between the french word for goat, "chevre", and the English words "chevron" and Chevrolet. Apparently it has something to do with the shape of goats' hind-legs. The name of the motor company Chevrolet derives from its founder, Louis Chevrolet. The family name Chevrolet is supposedly either a corruption of the French "goats' milk" or roughly translates as "little mountain goat".

I found a website last night that made me happy. On this site you can watch over 600 documentaries. Strangely there are no or few ads and you don't have to register or install a special player or anything. It is almost too good to be true. And the site contains links to some very good documentaries. I saw "The Fog of War" listed there somewhere and I remember watching that one in the Luna Cinema in Perth many moons ago. Anyway, before bed I managed to squeeze in a filmed lecture about evolution and butterfly wing patterning with implications drawn to human evolution. I'm very happy to have so many documentaries to watch.

Work again tomorrow. *Sigh*

No comments: